At Wychavon we have a long and proud record of investing in and delivering exciting projects that benefit the communities we serve. These are set out in our corporate strategy which is refreshed every four years. Previous strategies have seen us build supermarkets to support town centre regeneration, a hospital to fill a gap in local healthcare provision and invest in a hydro-electric plant to help lower our carbon footprint.
We have just approved our new strategy which runs from 2020 to 2024. Its purpose is to make sure we continue to be a leading, responsive and innovative council, working to improve people’s lives.
Our strategy has three main priorities:
- Supporting people
- Strong economy and places
- Sustainable environment
There are a series of goals below each priority which helps to focus our project delivery. Below that are more than 30 actions – which we call promises – that we will deliver to achieve our priorities. Promises include:
- Investing in the construction and completion of at least 15 new homes for private rent by 31 March 2022
- Building new football facilities in Droitwich including new pitches and changing rooms by 31 March 2022 and additional sports facilities in Pershore by 31 March 2024
- Working with partners to deliver a white water facility in Pershore by 31 March 2024
- Working with partners to create a multi-purpose cycling attraction including a BMX pump track, mountain bike trails and a simulated road circuit in Evesham by 31 March 2024
- Delivering Wychavon’s first health hub bringing together health and wellbeing services all under one roof by 31 March 2024
- Investing £100,000 over four years to promote the growth of the low carbon economy in Wychavon
- Working with our partners to create and start to deliver master plans to attract inward investment and increase the vibrancy of our three towns by 31 March 2024
- Starting to deliver our new Intelligently Green Plan to tackle climate change including promoting the development of an electric vehicle forecourt by 31 March 2024
- Taking action to reduce our own greenhouse gas emissions by at least 50% by 2024 against a 2018/19 baseline
This is the most ambitious strategy in our history, and as our new Deputy Chief Executive you will have an instrumental part to play in driving forward many of the projects above and much more.
You can read the strategy in full here.